I am very pleased to share that we had a very strong member engagement and retention in Q1 despite the dues increase. Our member renewal rate held steady compared to last year. Thank you all so much for your continued support of the Chamber and helping to make the AmCham ecosystem vibrant and strong. With the number of US businesses in Singapore consistently growing, we are now focused on recruiting these companies to the Chamber. Given the uncertainties on the implications of the US-China trade war and political elections in the region, we want to ensure that we provide connections and insights to help you mitigate any risks and accelerate the growth of your operations.
To this end, let me share my top 10 happenings at the Chamber:
1. AmChams of Asia Pacific Business Summit Date Confirmed: as you know, we will be hosting the next regional business leaders summit for the 28 AmChams in the region. Please save the date: March 11 – 13, 2020. We already have been having conversations with some of you on the partnership and sponsorship opportunities. Please email me if you would like to learn more.
2. New Director of Business Development & Operations: we welcomed this month Kelly Williams as our new Director of Business Development & Operations. He leads our member engagement, recruitment, sales and sponsorship efforts. Having worked in business development at two of our member companies previously, I am confident that he will be a tremendous help to you as you leverage the Chamber membership benefits. I know that he would love to hear from you to better understand your membership needs, so please contact him at email@example.com.
3. AmCham Townhall: we want to hear from you! On Friday, June 21st, we will host our members, and prospective members for a Happy Hour Townhall to get your feedback on how we are doing as a Chamber, and share more information about our membership benefits. So please save the date and register to attend and plan to bring your colleagues and friends! We will have plenty of food and drinks to also celebrate the Fourth of July! If you would like me to address specific areas during the Townhall, please let me know. I’d love to hear from you.
4. Batam Trade Mission: on Friday, May 24th, in partnership with the Gallant Venture, we led a trade mission trip to Batam Island to showcase Batamindo Industrial Park. Founded in 1990, Batamindo Industrial Park is the only fully owned Singapore industrial park on Batam Island. We will look to do similar business missions in the future, with a visit to Iskandar Malaysia planned for July. If you have any questions on these, please contact Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Washington Doorknock: if you are with an American company, and would like to join our delegation for our advocacy mission in DC from July 14 – 18, please contact Ravi at email@example.com.
6. Monthly Networking Nights: we are known for our thought leadership events, but we also know that our 5,500 membership is very diverse and some of you love our casual networking nights. We had great feedback on our last Casino Networking Night. Our next networking night will be at the Court Martial Bar, themed Back to the 80s and 90s on June 13th. Please register today as spaces are limited. See you there!
7. Your Account Manager at AmCham: we are in the process of assigning a single account manager from our team to each member company to ensure that you are being alerted proactively for example to update your member roster, and receiving administrative support in leveraging your membership with us. I hope that this will help make your engagement with us a little bit easier. You should be hearing from us soon on this, so please keep a lookout for an email from Kelly Williams with more information on your designated account manager.
8. AGM and AmCham Cares Recipients: we had the biggest turnout in recent history (perhaps ever) at our Annual General Meeting on April 26th. We were honored to host President Halimah Yacob as the keynote speaker and to recognize 64 companies for their excellent CSR programs. If you were not able to attend as we had to close registration due to capacity issues, you can see media coverage in the Straits Times. The President also had a private session with the AmCham Cares High Distinction recipient companies: Edwards Lifesciences, Global Brand Partners, Google, Moody’s Corporation, P&G, Transcarta, and Xylem.
9. New and Re-elected Board of Governors: thank you to all those that voted! At the AGM, we welcomed two newly elected Governors to the Board, Emre Olcer, President of SEA (Mondelēz International) and Jannik Termansen, Regional Director of Government Affairs & Markets (3M). All of the Governors who sought their second term were re-elected: Jonathan Collard (J&J), Peta Latimer (Mercer), Lisa Liaw (American Express), and Adam Abdur Rahman (Citi). Congratulations!
10. Committee Co-chairs Appointments: joining our leadership circle and driving our thought leadership are Sally Tan (Ascendas-Singbridge) for the Property Committee; for the Marketing & Communications Committee we have Dr. Colin D’Silva (GSK), Garick Kea (Nielsen), and Jacob Puthenparambil (Redhill Communications); Anupama Puranik (Russell Reynolds Associates) for the Human Capital Committee; and Margaret Poorman (Caterpillar) for the Supply Chain, Transportation, & Logistics Committee. Welcome everyone!
We update our Events Calendar on a regular basis, so please remember to visit our website www.amcham.com.sg frequently so that you do not miss out on Committee Programming meetings, seminars, networking sessions and more!
All the best,